Fort Moultrie (S.C.)
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Geographic subdivision usage: South Carolina Fort Moultrie Variant(s): United States. Fort Moultrie United States. Army. Fort Moultrie Moultrie, Fort (S.C.) Camp Moultrie (S.C.) See also: Fort Arbuthnot (S.C.) Fort Sullivan (S.C.) Found in: NUCMC data South Carolina Historical Society for Hutson, R. Letterbook, 1765-1777 (Fort Sullivan, S.C.; later name: Fort Moultrie) Encyc. of historic forts, 1988: p. 716-717 (Fort Moultrie; originally a palmetto and sand fort of Am. Rev. called Fort Sullivan for Captain O’Sullivan who was appointed in 1674 to maintain a signal cannon on the island; renamed Fort Moultrie by South Carolina Assembly in honor of Col. William Moultrie, who repulsed British fleet in 1776; in 1780 the British captured the post and called it Fort Arbuthnot in honor of Vice Adm. Mariott Arbuthnot; renamed Fort Moultrie when British no longer occupied Charleston; after World War II, Fort Moultrie became obsolete, and in 1947, after 171 yrs. of service, was officially deactivated) NUCMC data from South Carolina Hist. Soc. for Wells family papers, 1853-1934 (collection contains a paper entitled "The Causes of the [Civil] War" read by Julian L. Wells before Camp Moultrie, orig. pub. 1894) GeoNames, algorithmically matched, 2009 (ppl; 32°45ʹ33ʺN 079°51ʹ28ʺW)
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Scans of Civil War Maps/Drawings from the Converse County Library.